Re: Followup N-35/N35a images - Early Linking 13 States images

Eric Hansmann

From Ed and John's posts, it seems there are a couple differences between the N-35 and N-35A cars.

Ed mentioned the AAR Z-26 center sill on the N-35A and John notes a different side sill appearance on the same cars.

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On 10/12/2021 11:59 PM John King via groups.io <e27ca@...> wrote:

The design of the AAR 1935 Standard Twin Hopper car was slightly revised around 1940 or 1941.   The early version on B&O was N-35, the revised version was similar to the N-35A . One noticeable difference is the appearance of the side sill that angles up from the car body to the end sill (N-35) and the revised version that is level from the car body to the end sill (like the N-35A).       The Atlas model represents the early version and the Kadee model represents the revised version built during the 1940's and 1950's..  Of course neither has the Duryea underframe of B&O cars but a side view of the early version looks like an N-35 and a side view of the N-35A is the revised version.

Curiously Atlas letters and numbers its B&O car as an N-35a when it closer to an an N-35.     The end bracing on the Kadee model is different than what B&O used.

Bottom line is there is a noticeable difference between N-35 and N-35A .

Hopefully the above is confusing enough to prod the experts to chime in with more complete/precise information.   Right now my flatbed scanner is not talking to my computer so I can't scan and post photos to show the difference.

John King.