Re: Train No 29 Consist and M&E question

Jim Mischke

BobGP, another pointer for your mail train.    The express cars never went to the wash rack like the passenger cars did.   They went straight to the freight house or train connection, .... they carry mail and express, after all ..... not to the coach yards for cleaning inside and out.

Mail trains were dirty throughout.   Even in color photos, one cannot tell if the C-15 exprerss cars or C16 wagontop express cars were blue or green.  Blue paint was mandated per B&O memo dated in January 1947, cars then painted blue at some subsequent shopping, only to get dirty again.

The C-17 express cars, a 1947 troop sleeper rehab project, were only blue.

Express cars had no car data in their lettering.   The produced models and F&C decals are properly lettered in this way.

On Tuesday, January 4, 2022, 07:58:02 AM MST, Steve Long <steve.long4@...> wrote:

Ooops!  I meant to type "C-15, C-16 and C-17".  The wagon tops were equipped for passenger service, and were probably blue or green - hard to tell in B&W photos.

Steve Long