B&O Antiques and Railroadiana

MikeCather

Edited

Hello group.  Our collectors of B&O Antiques and Railroadiana might be interested in this . . . .

Last night on a TV show (American Pickers) the antique hunters went to a place in Ohio that housed the collections of a man who was in the demolition business. He did a lot of work for railroads to demolish old structures.  To say his collection was phenomenal is an understatement.

(The show is available to members of the History Channel, https://play.history.com/shows/american-pickers/season-22/episode-14 )

It looked like a Gaithersburg show. Row after row of hand lanterns, marker lamps, steam whistles, bells, air horns, signage, oil cans, crossing signs, station signs, loco number plates and so much more.

My dear wife tracked down the info today. There’s an auction of this collection on July 10, 2021 -

Railroadiana Auction - Featuring Selections From the Brian Maiher Collection - Rail & Road Auction.
One item being auctioned is a drumhead from the National Limited.  Back in the 1990s I attended an auction in Baltimore of the Hickman estate where I bid on a Royal Blue drumhead and when the bidding reached $2500 I gave up and watched it go for about $4k.  I did buy a pair of B&O “Sleepy Hollow” passenger car seats that I donated to BORHS World HQs which may still be there; they were comfortable seating when I ran the Company Store back in the day.

I’ve sold off all my model RR items and most of my railroadiana collection rather than leave it to my wife / executor to deal with after my passing someday.

Happy Hunting.

s/Mike Cather

Robert Federle

I have dealt with him before and yes he has an awesome to say the least collection. I bought a GRS 2A semaphore drive from him on one trip and some parts and a lantern on another. Nice guy. Its outside Columbus Ohio. By his driveway he has or ad a cement phone booth and many other neat items. I will have to look for that episode. I stopped watching for a long time.

Robert Federle
Hamilton Ohio

Hello group.  Our collectors of B&O Antiques and Railroadiana might be interested in this . . . .

Last night on a TV show (American Pickers) the antique hunters went to a place in Ohio that housed the collections of a man who was in the demolition business. He did a lot of work for railroads to demolish old structures.  To say his collection was phenomenal is an understatement.

(The show is available to members of the History Channel, https://play.history.com/shows/american-pickers/season-22/episode-14 )

It looked like a Gaithersburg show. Row after row of hand lanterns, market lamps, steam whistles, bells, air horns, signage, oil cans, crossing signs, station signs, loco number plates and so much more.

[...]

Alfred Fickensher

I have a decade-long-dead-now friend, an academic wag who loved to say that his basement/shed/garage/third bedroom-full collection of rr paper's only purpose was to be used as fuel by his widow and her next husband for his funeral pyre.

alf,

--
Alf in Iowa
sent from my iPad

Frank Barna

Hi, Mike --

I can't imagine how horrible the decision must have been to sell off all your model trains. I often think why would I want to give up things that bring me so much happiness. What a terrible transition point that must be.

Did you sell your stuff on Ebay or train shows?

Be well -

Carl Barna

[...]

Carl, a combination of ebay and craigslist.  My eyesight has steadily gone downhill and it wan't fun anymore. When the pandemic hit I sold the last slug of models and tools on craigslist to a guy in Palm Springs, CA who wanted something to do during the lockdown.

I'll stick to reading RR history and maybe write an article now and then.

Jim Mischke

I once bought a fellow modeler's collection at a still-alive-and-kicking estate sale, particularly his detail part stash for $200, pennies on the dollar.   He was asked 50 times that weekend how he could part with all this.    His answer was that his second divorce helped a lot.

Something like this happened to me, too.   I was a prolific slide photographer for 35 years, the end of Kodachrome brought me up short.   Besides suddenly being stuck with $300 of unusable film and prepaid mailers, what next?   Dwayne's Photo in Parsons Kansas was a central player on that fiasco, and they also had the last Fuji slide processor in North America.  Fool me twice?  I did not want to relearn base exposures on a new film, nor endure Dwayne's again.   If I drink the digital image kool-aid, I am condemned to keeping my hardware and software current for the rest of my life.   Old software does not read new source files.  Once promised permanent formats evolve anyway.  Old pdf.  New pdf.  Old tiff.  New tiff.  Planned obsolescence bows to no one.   Bill Gates lives, I do not understand why.

I will always love railroads, including the current scene.  But I don't love it the way I used to when there were still GP9's, F7's, and 40' boxcars with running boards still around.   The next 70,000 slides I would take will not be as fun as the first 70,000.

Stopping photography did me good.  I travel relaxed.  I do not leave Albuquerque at 2 am to get to Dalhart by photography light at nine.  I do not cuss missed trains and errant clouds anymore.  I revel in B&OHS convention fellowship rather than photographing sparcer and sparser rubble.

Real life will always interfere with our hobby.

On Wednesday, June 23, 2021, 03:58:24 PM MDT, Frank Barna <cbarna@...> wrote:

[...]

borr7500 <borr7500@yahoo.com>

When I retired 5 years ago I moved from Maryland to Florida. I used a small moving container called a "Packrat" talk about being nervous, all of my model railroad stuff loaded up in this box and hauled away to Florida out of my sight, ugh. Had to down size my railroad from a large fill the basement size to two bays of an insulated three car garage. Had to rationalize the number of structures, locomotives and rail cars. I did this by using a hobby shop in Maryland, and a couple of internet sites. Has worked very well, so far. Recently my wife was curious why I had so many locomotives, more than I could use on the railroad. Try to explain that to someone that doesn't understand the hobby. I often wonder about those others that have many more locomotives than I do. And yes she asked me what does she do with the "stuff" if something happens to me. A little advice to those that may want to sell their "stuff", unless it is really unique don't expect to get a lot of money for your things. In case you're wondering, I use the proceeds from  my sales to get some items to upgrade the railroad or buy things for my other hobbies.

As for photography I gave that up soon after I started to work for the railroad, got too many odd looks and lost interest when things really started to change to Chessie.

Charlie Rogers

MikeCather

Edited

I once had 66 of the Proto-2000 diesels, bought just about one of everything the Company Store sold. Started selling off models at least ten years ago and finished up in the Spring of 2020 with the last batch to that guy in Palm Springs. Hundreds of freight cars came and went over the years; favorite cars were those colorful billboard reefers of a bygone era and scores of those Kadee PS-1 boxcars of various roads that I recalled from my childhood. All gone now. Moving on.

Robert Federle

Hello Mike,

Unless I missed can I assume Brian passed away? I know usually when there is an estate sale the person is no longer with us but once in a while they are still kicking. I didnt think Brian was very old.

He had some very nice B&O items and everything he had was for sale with a few exceptions....if the price was right. Very nice to talk to and be around and so was his wife but she didnt come out much.

Robert Federle
Hamilton Ohio

[...]

John Teichmoeller

And we love the silverware, Mike.

Grandson needs to get down here and do some cleaning.

jt