B&O Cumberland MD Bolt and Forge Shop/Rolling Mill

John Kernan

Greetings Group,
Is the red building located in the left center of the attached Al Chione pix and URL (compliments of RR Museum of PA, 15th listing down):

https://rrmuseumpa.andornot.com/list?q=Baltimore+%26+Ohio+Railroad+-+Locomotive&p=117&ps=20

part of the B&O bolt and forge shop/rolling mill complex at Cumberland MD? Date given is 6-2-1952.

TIA for any and all comments.

John Kernan

Jim Mischke

No.  This shot is westbound on the West End side of Viaduct Junction, which is just out of sight beyond the end of this train.

Since it is daytime, this would be #11, the Metropolitan.

On Friday, October 1, 2021, 07:21:08 AM MDT, John Kernan <jjkernan01@...> wrote:

Greetings Group,
Is the red building located in the left center of the attached Al Chione pix and URL (compliments of RR Museum of PA, 15th listing down):

https://rrmuseumpa.andornot.com/list?q=Baltimore+%26+Ohio+Railroad+-+Locomotive&p=117&ps=20

part of the B&O bolt and forge shop/rolling mill complex at Cumberland MD? Date given is 6-2-1952.

TIA for any and all comments.

John Kernan

Charles Sloane

Jim,

Then this is heading a bit compass SW just crossing Wills Creek and the WM Railway on the big B&O viaduct?  The curved track from the left in the front being former Cumberland & Pennsylvania Railroad Potomac Warft branch.  The building, at least in 1921, was still a tannery on Sanborn maps.

All the best,
Charles Sloane

No.  This shot is westbound on the West End side of Viaduct Junction, which is just out of sight beyond the end of this train.

Since it is daytime, this would be #11, the Metropolitan.

On Friday, October 1, 2021, 07:21:08 AM MDT, John Kernan <jjkernan01@...> wrote:

Greetings Group,
Is the red building located in the left center of the attached Al Chione pix and URL (compliments of RR Museum of PA, 15th listing down):

https://rrmuseumpa.andornot.com/list?q=Baltimore+%26+Ohio+Railroad+-+Locomotive&p=117&ps=20

part of the B&O bolt and forge shop/rolling mill complex at Cumberland MD? Date given is 6-2-1952.

TIA for any and all comments.

John Kernan

Jim Mischke

I would add to John's question that the Cumberland Bolt and Forge shop was adjacent to the Queen City Station, railroad east.  Shop buildings were brick, not painted wood.

There are still some tracks there in a vacant lot.   The rest was taken up by the Interstate 40 bridge and the new Cumberland post office.

On Friday, October 1, 2021, 12:35:43 PM MDT, Charles Sloane <cwsloane@...> wrote:

[...]

John Teichmoeller

Attached is one of the photos in the Historic American Engineering Record study of the Bolt and Forge facility.  I think this is looking timetable west; you can see the Interstate bridge in the distance.

John Teichmoeller

Rail-Marine Information Group

12107 Mt. Albert Rd.

Ellicott City, MD  21042

(410) 531-3207

Rmighpr@...

www.trainweb.org/rmig

--
John Teichmoeller
Editor, The B&O Modeler

Joe Nevin

John is correct that the photo faces railroad west.  This was taken from the rear of the facility, with the mainline running left to right between the B&F buildings and the town proper.  Queen City station is gone, but it's site would be just to the right of the Interstate.

Joe

Jim Mischke

You mean Charles Sloan's referenced HAER 1974 photo faces railroad west.

John Kernan's original photo was a westbound passenger train on the West End just west of Viaduct Junction

On Friday, October 1, 2021, 06:22:52 PM MDT, Joe Nevin <jfnevin@...> wrote:

John is correct that the photo faces railroad west.  This was taken from the rear of the facility, with the mainline running left to right between the B&F buildings and the town proper.  Queen City station is gone, but it's site would be just to the right of the Interstate.

Joe

Joe Nevin

 No, I meant John Teichmoeller's HAER 1974 photo faces railroad west.

Joe

Ed Milbrada

The building is Buchanan (sp) Lumber. It sat along the WM.

Ed Milbrada

Jim Mischke

Thank you for your observation, Ed.

This is the red building to the left of the passenger train in John Kernan's whereabouts question.

On Saturday, October 2, 2021, 10:58:09 AM MDT, Ed Milbrada <milbrada@...> wrote:

The building is Buchanan (sp) Lumber. It sat along the WM.

        Ed Milbrada

Heimer, Crew

Edited

I'm not sure that we have properly located this photo.

See the 1938 and 1954 road maps - there should be an overhead bridge and road crossings (which do not appear), if I understand properly what was what has been written.

Also that track to the left - it  appears to be the remnant of a former wye junction, which would not be possible at the Cumberland site because of the Henderson Boulevard Overhead Bridge..

If not Cumberland, then where?

I also attach an aerial of the Bolt and Forge shop.
Crew Heimer