B&O Engine 31

NicholasF

We just found this image in a new collection being inventoried at the Barriger, I can't place the location.  Has anyone else seen this image?

Best
-Nick Fry

Jim Mischke

HI Nick,

To, me, this looks like the coach shops at Mt. Clare.  When I volunteered there in person, this was the shady place where the B&O  museum excursion trains loaded.   The shop complex's south side has always been adjacent to a residential neighborhood, consistant with the overpruned scraggly trees and row houses in the left background.

While we associate the Little Joes with Pratt Street operations, those occrured at night by law.  A steam motor like C-6 #31 was equipped for horse pacification, probably for other nearby street running surrounded by the daylight bustle of horse drawn wagons.

A distant second idea might be Bailey's car shops, yet that location was completely built up as rail facilities and businesses.

Jim

On Thursday, June 24, 2021, 01:21:03 PM MDT, NicholasF <borhsarchives@...> wrote:

We just found this image in a new collection being inventoried at the Barriger, I can't place the location.  Has anyone else seen this image?

Best
-Nick Fry

John Teichmoeller

The building in the background is what I think they call the South Car Shop used for active under cover museum exhibit space (4500, etc.); windows and brick dentil work looks like your building. I forget the name of the street the row houses in the black and white photo are on but they’re still there, occupied—have a former neighbor who lives there.

jt

--
John Teichmoeller
Editor, The B&O Modeler

Joe Nevin

The corner behind the South Car Shop (I agree that is the building behind 31) is Amity and McHenry Streets and the houses are still occupied.  The faded Black Baltimore & Ohio car shop on white panel was still there before the renovation of the South Car Shop.  At the time of the photo, the Bailey Car Shop was still the power house for the Howard Street helpers.

Joe

NicholasF

Thanks to everyone who confirmed the location as Mt. Clare near the South Car Shops!

Best
-Nick Fry