B&O hopper roster (1930s/1940s/1950s)

Ryan Tamburrino

Hi guys,

Trying to figure out dates and types for my hopper roster.

Specifically, I was trying to find build dates and dates of service (and prevalence) of the W-2a hopper.

Thanks!

Ryan

Jim Mischke

Ryan, the best resource for this and your future B&O freight car roster questions is a spreadsheet compiled by Rich Daniels years ago from individual annual B&O Summaries of Equipment, published by B&O annually 1912-1958, 1960.  Summaries 1912-1916 were primitive and underinformative, 1959 was skipped as a cost cutting measure by B&O at the time.

Long available as a comb-bound paper document, I believe it is now on CD from the B&OHS Company Store (www.borhs.org) for seven dollars.

74001B&O Freight Car Equipment and Cabooses, 1917-1960. Contains 43 pages of tables that summarize the Summaries of Equipment for 1917-1960 for freight cars and cabooses, but not passenger cars. Compiled by Society member Richard K Daniels. This item was serialized in 3 parts and mailed to all members of the B&O Society in years past, now available as a single reprint item.7.00

Some inquirers find it bothersome to have their question answered with a buy-one-yourself response.  Please accept this pointer in the spirit of "give a man a fish, he eats today, teach a man how to fish, he eats for a lifetime."

For the rest of the list, this document is a must-have in every B&O library.

Myself, I made many copies of individual pages, highlighted the subject equipment, and placed such a page in every section of every research notebook in my frieght car library.   This is so that this all-time roster by year, clearance diagrams, photos, articles, ads, drawings, painting diagrams, mentions, great list postings are all together.  Every freight car, every subclass.

Now you all know what I do all day.  Good work if you can get it.

Jim Mischke
B&O freight car and diesel guy

On Saturday, October 2, 2021, 06:11:10 AM MDT, Ryan Tamburrino <ryantamburrino@...> wrote:

Hi guys,

Trying to figure out dates and types for my hopper roster.

Specifically, I was trying to find build dates and dates of service (and prevalence) of the W-2a hopper.

Thanks!

Ryan

Ryan Tamburrino

Jim,

Thank you again!    Yes...I'm looking for a resource I can use for continual reference, not just a one-off answer, so this was exactly the answer I wanted.

I didn't realize this was on the B&OHS site!

Ryan

John Teichmoeller

Ryan, you  may also want to acquire the reproduction of the actual Summary of Equipment document for the year or years you are planning to model.  Many but not all are available from the company store.   These have roster data for more than just freight cars.

John Teichmoeller

Rail-Marine Information Group

12107 Mt. Albert Rd.

Ellicott City, MD  21042