B&O N-35/N-35a hopper lettering schemes as built - views for decals

Jim Mischke

Hi Ed,

Attached are some helpful images and information for N-35/N-35a decals.    I copy the B&O list because this is a teachable moment for B&O hopper car lettering.   Feel free to pose questions on or off list.

In reverse chonological order.....

1.   A popular lettering scheme for the N-35a is the Late Linking Thirteen States, applied to new and shopped cars 1946-1953.

-  "Baltimore & Ohio" appears high on the car side, offset from center, 7" high lettering

-    Linking 13 States herald is 36" diameter, on the right hand side

-    reporting mark "B&O" is nine inches high, road numbers are 7" high

-    one inch thick white stripes above and below reporting marks

2.   Predecessor scheme was the Early Linking Thirteen States, applied to new and shopped cars 1945-1946, 1948.   Due to attachment memory limitations, photos are attached in next email.

-   "Baltimore & Ohio" is part of the reporting mark, all characters of which are seven inch high lettering

-    My photos show both 25" diameter and 36" diameter Linking 13 States herald (next email), right side of car

-   one inch thick white stripes above and below reporting marks.  Top stripe extra long.

3.    In wartime, lettering was the Wartime Kuhler, applied to new and shopped cars late 1940 to 1945,

-   "Baltimore & Ohio" is part of the reporting marks, all of which are seven inch high lettering

-    Kuhler herald is 24" outside diameter, right side of car

-    one inch thick white stripes above and below reporting marks.  Top stripe extra long.

4.    During 1940, lettering was the Transition Kuhler, applied to new and shopped cars during mid-1940, including the first 1940 N-35 order.

-   "Baltimore & Ohio" appears high on the car side, offset from center, 7" high lettering

-    Kuhler herald is 24" outside diameter, left side of car

-    reporting mark B&O is nine inches high, road numbers are 7" high

-    one inch thick white stripes above and below reporting marks 

( The N-35 429096 image came to me in two parts, which I welded.  Can you tell where?  Two welded wide angle shots might make for distorted graphics.  )

In summary, a versatile decal set covering all four lettering schemes would include:

-    "Baltimore and Ohio" seven inch lettering with an optional one inch white stripe above

-     a supply of 24" dia. Kuhler heralds, 25" dia. Linkng 13 States heralds,  36" diameter Linking 13 States heralds 

-     Nine inch B&O, seven inch road numbers and number jumbles

-     One inch white stripes sufficient for B&O and "Baltimore and Ohio" reporting marks

Also:

-    end lettering is four inches high

-    the solid circle for powdered coal suitability is six inches in diameter

-    please include new/reweigh date and repack dates appropriate for every N-35/N-35 order and road number depicted 

-    capacity data on the left is three inches high

Jim Mischke