Carl's questions. was: Rapido B&O M-24 USRA boxcar announced

Jim Mischke

Wood boxcars

Single and double sheath boxcare of all railroads were good'n'plenty in the early 1950's.   B7 the late 1950's, the influx of new largely 50' boxcars set the boxcar pecking order in motion and the wood boxcars fell out the bottom.

Many such boxcars on other railroads lived on with aftermarket Youngstown steel sides as a life extension.   Tichy makes this version.  Atlas tried and failed.

B&O had budgeted the M-24 USRA boxcar fleet to get this treatment for FY 1948, yet it was cancelled.   I have the B&O accounting ledger page for this, hand annotated as cancelled.

P&LE had many upgraded steel side boxcars but they were all out of revenue service by 1964.  Mine will be in P&LE company service as wheeled scenery on an isolated nonoperational P&LE side track.

I had to pass on the Rapido USRA double sheath boxcar release (no B&O prototypes) because I could not find a 1964 (my era) prototype survivor.    The yellpw TH&B boxcar was a candidate, but per ORER they were down to 15 cars and might have been in on-line only or LCL service.

I did help myself to Rapido's first NP round roof double sheath boxcar release in the last offered lettering.   Still not clear if these were regualrly interchanged cars by 1964.    For all I know they could be hauling spuds arorund Idah  locally by '64.   All I have to do is ask an NP poohba at a future RPM meet.

An obscure  B&O single sheath wood boxcars is the M-33 Fowler car, inherited from a takeover.  Canadian manufacturer True-Line trains released Fowler boxcars Canadian road names, I sent them a B&O M-33 care package ... one known photo but a good one ... to help with a futrue release.    At some point the founder passed away and the desendents have been squabbling ever since.   Maybe they just want to turn the crank for more money, but not invest in new product.  They are failing at both, per outside observation.

If you are looking for ideas, always check out list member Eric Hansmann's site for B&O and non-B&O examples, models and their prototypes.  Eric takes on serious model projects, yet some are doable by mere mortals.  He is aiming for his 1926 era, his insights carry over to later years.

K-brakes

 B&O had a vigorous K-brake-to-AB-brake conversion program.

Black water tanks

The black water tanks were vendor-supplied steel tanks.   Image attached.

I was surprised how empty my internet B&O water tank search was this evening.  I was looking for yellow with black trim B&O water tanks, found little in any paint.

The popular Underwood collection at the Barriger was photographed after the October 1953 dieselization east of Cumberland.   All the water facilities came down forthwith.  Take no prisoners.

As a vigorous Adobe Photoshop pre-press photo processor, I have to laugh when people divine color from a black-and-white image.  Gray shade is just a brightness or contrast slider bar move away between light and dark.   Previously, there had been simiilar important choices in exposure, bumping, dodging, and paper type in wet darkrooms as well.

On Thursday, June 17, 2021, 06:20:26 PM MDT, Frank Barna <cbarna@...> wrote:

Did single and double sheathed boxcars make it into the '50s?

After the initial red painting of B&O wooden water towers, did the railroad stick with that scheme until the end of steam, or did they change it?

Carl Barna

Frank Barna

Hi, Jim --

Were the steel panels just nailed over the wood sheathing, or were the wooden walls just removed and the steel nailed to the sticks?

Carl Barna
Emmaus, PA