completion date of Cumberland to Grafton, and Grafton to Wheeling?

Frederick Ripley

List,

I should have expanded my question a bit:   I'd like to not only know when the B&O reached Grafton from Cumberland, but when it reached Wheeling from Grafton.   1852 or so?   There is a sign along the highway just south of Wheeling at Moundsville that I believe says that date.

Thanks again, Fred R.

Jim Mischke

If you can trust wikipedia, "The B&O reached Wheeling, West Virginia (then part of Virginia) on January 1, 1853."

Roseby's Rock states December 24, 1852, yet that is when the track gangs thought they were done.

On Wednesday, June 16, 2021, 08:44:33 AM MDT, Frederick Ripley <fjripley68@...> wrote:

List,

I should have expanded my question a bit:   I'd like to not only know when the B&O reached Grafton from Cumberland, but when it reached Wheeling from Grafton.   1852 or so?   There is a sign along the highway just south of Wheeling at Moundsville that I believe says that date.

Thanks again, Fred R.

Joe Nevin

Fred,

The B&O mainline passed the Three Mile Creek at the site of not yet incorporated Grafton in June of 1852, and rails were joined at Roseby's Rock on Christmas Eve to same year.  Service began on the completed line in January,1853.

Joe

Frederick Ripley

Thanks Joe- I appreciate the clarification!

Fred R.