From: main@BaltimoreAndOhioRailroadList.groups.io <main@BaltimoreAndOhioRailroadList.groups.io> on behalf of Martin Baumann <martin98baumann@...>
Sent: Thursday, July 8, 2021 5:26 PM
To: main@BaltimoreAndOhioRailroadList.groups.io <main@BaltimoreAndOhioRailroadList.groups.io>
Subject: [BaltimoreAndOhioRailroadList] F Unit livery question.

Did any B&O (or C&O for that matter) ever carry the orange and yellow scheme?  Models have been made of number 4472 lettered both B&O and C&O (I have a C&O one). 4472 is a correct number for B&O ( and still exists as Santa Cruz and Monterey Bay Railroad 1102) but am I right in suspecting there was never a prototype? Online searching for pictures does not find any.

Thanks,

Martin Baumann

Jim Mischke

No prototype B&O or C&O F-unit was ever painted Chessie.

B&O 4472 was an F3A, orginally with 65:12 gearing, rectangular d/b vents, either boiler or water equippped (I forget which) and manual transition.   When joined by an F7B to make F3A-F7B-F3A combinations in 1950, it lost its boiler/water capability, gearing changed to 62:15, and its electrical system was upgraded to F7 specifications (automatic transition).    Late in life it got a 36" circular fan as well.

On Thursday, July 8, 2021, 03:26:46 PM MDT, Martin Baumann <martin98baumann@...> wrote:

Did any B&O (or C&O for that matter) ever carry the orange and yellow scheme?  Models have been made of number 4472 lettered both B&O and C&O (I have a C&O one). 4472 is a correct number for B&O ( and still exists as Santa Cruz and Monterey Bay Railroad 1102) but am I right in suspecting there was never a prototype? Online searching for pictures does not find any.

Thanks,

Martin Baumann

Jim Mischke

On my ebay prowl this evening, attached is a photo of F3A 4472 in its final appearance.

Its nose coupling is mere hoslting, 4472 never had nose mu

On Thursday, July 8, 2021, 06:54:30 PM MDT, Jim Mischke <jmischke@...> wrote:

[...]

Paul Dallard, Jr.

 I have a picture I took in 1969, of B&O #4650 in Philly’s East Side yard. Pulling train 685. I forgot how high the 4600’s went, but I KNOW they went to 4650, at least.

On Jul 8, 2021, at 8:54 PM, Jim Mischke <jmischke@...> wrote:

[...]

<4472.jpg>

Joe Nevin

The unit ahead of it shows revenants of the sunburst scheme.

Joe