Soldering, not Sodering

Jim Mischke

I use a Weller soldering iron.

With all soldering, do it hot, make it shine, do it fast.    Cold and slow sucks.

Be sure and tin the wire first.   Also tin the rail.   Then make the solder joint.   Don't do it all at once.  Too much heat for the plastic ties.

Soldering connects electrical components.  Sodering is scriptural, evidently a good time while it lasts.

On Wednesday, July 21, 2021, 05:56:42 PM MDT, Frank Barna <cbarna@...> wrote:

Greetings - When you Soder your power wires to the rails, do y'all use a sodering iron or sodering gun? What wattage for each do you recommend?

Thanks -

Carl Barna
Emmaus, PA

Robert Federle

Jim is right and I might add, unless solder has changed since I last used it, use only rosin core solder for electrical connections as acid core solder will corrode over time. Use a dab of flux as well.

Robert Federle
Hamilton Ohio

With all soldering, do it hot, make it shine, do it fast.    Cold and slow sucks.

Be sure and tin the wire first.   Also tin the rail.   Then make the solder joint.   Don't do it all at once.  Too much heat for the plastic ties.

Soldering connects electrical components.  Sodering is scriptural, evidently a good time while it lasts.

On Wednesday, July 21, 2021, 05:56:42 PM MDT, Frank Barna <cbarna@...> wrote:

Greetings - When you Soder your power wires to the rails, do y'all use a sodering iron or sodering gun? What wattage for each do you recommend?

Thanks -

Carl Barna
Emmaus, PA

george votruba

Soldering connects electrical components..................I KNEW THAT!
Sodering is scriptural,
 evidently a good time while it lasts............................. I DIDN'T KNOW THAT!

George F. Votruba

On Wednesday, July 21, 2021, 07:09:49 PM MDT, Jim Mischke <jmischke@...> wrote:

I use a Weller soldering iron.

With all soldering, do it hot, make it shine, do it fast.    Cold and slow sucks.

Be sure and tin the wire first.   Also tin the rail.   Then make the solder joint.   Don't do it all at once.  Too much heat for the plastic ties.

Soldering connects electrical components.  Sodering is scriptural, evidently a good time while it lasts.

On Wednesday, July 21, 2021, 05:56:42 PM MDT, Frank Barna <cbarna@...> wrote:

Greetings - When you Soder your power wires to the rails, do y'all use a sodering iron or sodering gun? What wattage for each do you recommend?

Thanks -

Carl Barna
Emmaus, PA

Eric Hansmann

I posted my soldering processes nearly a decade ago as I built my Wheeling Freight Terminal layout. Here’s the link.

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN