The Bridge at Amlersburg, WV June 27, 2021

Heimer, Crew

I think I recollect the road bridge previously being suspended by rods - it is anchored into the arch now with transverse beams. 

Robert Federle

Nice photos Crew, these and the Inspection train. Thank you.

Robert Federle
Hamilton Ohio

From: main@BaltimoreAndOhioRailroadList.groups.io <main@BaltimoreAndOhioRailroadList.groups.io> on behalf of Heimer, Crew <crewh99@...>
Sent: Monday, July 5, 2021 2:14 PM
To: main@BaltimoreAndOhioRailroadList.groups.io <main@BaltimoreAndOhioRailroadList.groups.io>
Subject: [BaltimoreAndOhioRailroadList] The Bridge at Amlersburg, WV June 27, 2021

I think I recollect the road bridge previously being suspended by rods - it is anchored into the arch now with transverse beams. 

John King

Crew,

You are correct.  Not the best view but here it is in June, 1968.

John King

From: main@BaltimoreAndOhioRailroadList.groups.io [mailto:main@BaltimoreAndOhioRailroadList.groups.io] On Behalf Of Heimer, Crew
Sent: Monday, July 05, 2021 2:14 PM
To: main@BaltimoreAndOhioRailroadList.groups.io
Subject: [BaltimoreAndOhioRailroadList] The Bridge at Amlersburg, WV June 27, 2021

Heimer, Crew

The wood transverse beams (1968)  have been replaced with steel.  So the rods were to either increase the load limit (or perhaps the wood was old and not as strong) or, less likely, to reduce the deflection (and bounce) when driving over.

Also, the B&O stone arch has been braced with steel rods through it.

Crew 

lsittler

Carl- I think you mean Amblersburg, right? Les Sittler

lsittler

Sorry Crew. Mistake to call you Carl. LOL. Les

Jim Mischke

i drove over this little bridge during 1982-84 while railfanning the West End.  Noted its cool eccentricities.

I was more interested in scouting photo locations, I was daunted by how much mountain climbing I would have to do to get fifty feet above the tracks.   As a native midwesterner, I was used to hopping low fences, traversing a cornfield without trampling anything, but this was ridiculous.

So I spent most of my time at the road bridge over M&K.  The locals stopped by in their cars and swapped yarns.  We railfans may not realize how entertaining we are.

Cloudy day, no trains, steep terrain, it was still a good time.   Now I enjoy others' photography on better days and better eras, knowing and remembering I've been there too.

On Monday, July 5, 2021, 02:36:48 PM MDT, Heimer, Crew <crewh99@...> wrote:

The wood transverse beams (1968)  have been replaced with steel.  So the rods were to either increase the load limit (or perhaps the wood was old and not as strong) or, less likely, to reduce the deflection (and bounce) when driving over.

Crew 

Heimer, Crew

Yes Amblersburg,WV

lsittler

The first time I went to the West End was 1974. Tried to talk the pusher engineer at M&K into letting us ride along,  without success. Since the St. Louis main was still intact I remember a Trailer Jet that arrived there but traffic was sparse. That continued when I returned in 1980-1984. Then in the late 1990s until 2019 went there almost every year with my son who loves the B&O. Traffic was up and down. I’ve fanned the line from Grafton east and lately Grafton south, and there are some nice places for photos, i.e. Deadman’s Curve, Amblersburg, etc. but of course, Terra Alta looking west with a telephoto lens is tough to beat. I understand things have picked up and would love to hear more about that from folks in the know since we will return this fall. I’m hoping the increased metallurgical coal traffic remains strong.

Sent: Tuesday, July 6, 2021 12:32 AM
Subject: Re: [BaltimoreAndOhioRailroadList] The Bridge at Amlersburg, WV June 27, 2021

i drove over this little bridge during 1982-84 while railfanning the West End.  Noted its cool eccentricities.

I was more interested in scouting photo locations, I was daunted by how much mountain climbing I would have to do to get fifty feet above the tracks.   As a native midwesterner, I was used to hopping low fences, traversing a cornfield without trampling anything, but this was ridiculous.

So I spent most of my time at the road bridge over M&K.  The locals stopped by in their cars and swapped yarns.  We railfans may not realize how entertaining we are.

Cloudy day, no trains, steep terrain, it was still a good time.   Now I enjoy others' photography on better days and better eras, knowing and remembering I've been there too.

On Monday, July 5, 2021, 02:36:48 PM MDT, Heimer, Crew <crewh99@...> wrote:

Crew