The Heller Report

MikeCather

The Heller Report refers to a study done in the early 1950s on the topic of railroad passenger business in the northeast intent to determine if the RR pax business of the B&O, PRR and NYC could be somehow combined to find efficiencies as pax traffic declined in the face of automobile use.

The Heller Report was explained in Railroad History issue 223 for Fall / Winter 2020 published by the Railway & Locomotive Historical Society (R&LHS).

The author of the R&LHS article is Ira Silverman who found documents in the B&ORR HS archives. I don't recall reading anything in these lists but maybe I missed it.

The Heller Report made recommendations to rationalize pax traffic by some RRs leaving certain markets, etc.

B&O pulled out of the study in 1955 and the study eventually died a quiet death.

This issue of Railroad History seems like something that would be worth having at the Society archives, and I'd be happy to donate it they want it. If not I'll sell it on ebay.

Best to all.

Joe Nevin

Mike,

i've not talked with Nick Fry lately. bur in the name of the Society, I'm sure the donation would be welcomed.  The Archives crew had many discussions with Ira when he found the records in eldersburg, but the issue of Railroad History brings the story to a conclusion.

Joe

BigSteam

I would suggest that you do send it to the Society PO Box. I will see to it that it gets to the library. Thanks. Maybe Ira can provide a copy of the article manuscript, too, if copyright is not a problem.

Craig Close   BORHS/C&A Live Steam/FoGFLP/HFRHS

Balimer Merlan

OK: Far West Catonsville

--

Craig Close
Catonsville

MikeCather

It's on the way, will be there next week.

BigSteam

Thanks, Mike.