Wilmington OH November 14 1969

Martin Baumann

Which untis were wrecked on this date, or possibly the day before due to what appears to have been a grade crossing collision?  A photo appreared on facebook showing a derailed and overturned B&O F unit which was porbably leading,  behind which is an upright but derailed low nose GP.

Thanks,

Martin Baumann

Jim Mischke

This accident in Wilmington, Ohio photographed on 11/14/69 was a derailment from switch tampering by trespassers, diverrted train ran into a tool factory.    F7A 4545 was the F-unit, not leading.   Must have been repaired, not traded in to EMD until 9/72.   In those days, B&O repaired significant accident damage, if it was mainly sheet metal and Details Associates components.    Lead unit was  SD40 7494, also repaired later.

There had been a similar accident five years before.  Wilmington, Ohio.   Different siding.  Different factory.   C&O F-unit leading.   Same fireman.   He quit.

Seeking this information was an adventure, twenty years ago.    A long-forgptten swap meet feeding frenzy had yielded a slide of this accident's aftermath, F-unit on its side.   What road number?    At that point, only a vulture or gopher would know.  "I will go to Wilmington!", I vowed.

Not far from Cincinnati and Dayton where I customarily drove through (New Mexico to Baltimore) in those days, I spent a pleasant day in Wilmington chasing details.

-    First stop was the Wilmington Public Library, which had local newspaper on microfilm.  Found wreck coverage, front page.   Named the factory.  No hint of road numbers, not a reporter priority.   Printed out the article.

-    Everybody in town knew about the big wreck.  Even the teenage bank receptionist, who obviously had not been born yet.

-    Checked in with the newspaper.  Nothing.  They are consumed by current stories, subscriptions, and survival.  Not history.

-    Checked in with the human resources person at the tool factory, still operating.   She was delighted to make copies of my newfound resources for her files.    Wait a minute, the information flow should be the other way.

-    Stopped in at the court house.   The clerk there said her husband had been a volunteer firefighter who covered the wreck as a stringer for the newspaper and took photos.   She called him and handed me the phone.    Great memories shared but no photos or road numbers.

-    Checked in at the other 1964 wreck factory.  Lots of memories.   No additional insights.

-    Checked out the Wilmington University Library for additional newspaper coverage.  None with photos.  I always stop in at university libraries anyway, looked at their railroad books and various periodicals.

So went the day.  No road numbers.  Nonetheless it was fun.   A bit like a treasure hunt.   That someone else won.

One day on eBay was a spread of photos from this wreck, some when units had been righted.  F7A 4545. SD40 7494.  Attached is a photo from that sequence.  Mismarked 1968, my bad.

On Monday, October 11, 2021, 01:54:01 PM MDT, Martin Baumann <martin98baumann@...> wrote:

Which untis were wrecked on this date, or possibly the day before due to what appears to have been a grade crossing collision?  A photo appreared on facebook showing a derailed and overturned B&O F unit which was porbably leading,  behind which is an upright but derailed low nose GP.

Thanks,

Martin Baumann

Jim Mischke

Edited.  It occurs to me that a misdated attachment is a folklore-starter.

On Monday, October 11, 2021, 02:52:49 PM MDT, Jim Mischke <jmischke@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks for a fascinating insight.  I found this via google: http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=2714674

Stephen Phillips

Thanks. Here's the album with more photos:
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/archiveThumbs.aspx?id=71843

Stephen Phillips